How to Get Rid of Mold
So you've discovered some mold in your home, now what do you do? Here are some tips to get rid of black mold in your home safely and when to call for help.
Tell-Tale Signs of Mold
There are several tell-tale signs that you have mold in your home. The smell of mold is commonly described as musty. The smell may be the first indication of a mold problem.
When mold is visible, it appears as dark or black spots or rings. These may appear on walls and ceilings or near a source of moisture.
Look out for signs of mold wherever you have a water leak. A broken or ineffective downpipe can also cause dampness that attracts mold growth. If there has been flooding in your home, this could also be the site of mold growth.
Reduce Humidity and Repair Leaks
As mold loves damp and humid conditions, you should remove this to prevent mold from thriving. Check for any leaks and fix them. Dry out any water that has accumulated.
Remove any other sources of water, including broken downpipes, puddling on the roof, and missing roof shingles. Check and repair any other roof damage, such as cracks in flashing.
If you have had flooding, dry out the flood water as soon as possible. You may need professional standard equipment to do this quickly and effectively.
A dehumidifier can remove moisture from the air very effectively. Be sure to have removed the source of the moisture, or you will be forever running the dehumidifier with no benefit.
Lack of ventilation can be a contributor to creating a suitable environment for mold to grow.
Ventilate attics by ensuring that there is airflow between the roof and the walls. Ventilate rooms by opening windows and doors. Check that vents and air-conditioning are in working order and effective.
Clean Mold Yourself
You can clean small areas of mold using household cleaning materials.
Wear clothing, including gloves, a mask, and goggles to protect yourself from both the mold and the cleaning products. Ventilate the room you are working in by opening windows. This will inhibit the spread of the mold spores to other places in your home.
Removing furniture and belongings that are mold-free from the room will also help inhibit the spread of mold. Mold damaged items should be disposed of safely.
Clean surfaces with a mold remover, bleach, or a solution of vinegar. Porous surfaces are more problematic and may need to be removed.
After spraying the cleaning solution onto the moldy surface let it sit for up to one hour. Scrub the mold away using a sponge. Repeat this until the mold has been removed.
Professional Mold Treatment
Extensive areas of mold need professional help. Professional services after a flood can help prevent mold damage.
Once mold has a toe-hold, professional removal of black mold involves both treatment and remediation.
Whether you have a small area or a large area, you will want to get rid of black mold.Contact us to discuss your mold solution here.